The Hellenic Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, the host organization of the Greek Focal Point of the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work (EU-OSHA), has undertaken by law the responsibility of all issues related to the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) at national level.
The two principal competent state OHS authorities, under the General Directorate of Labour of the Hellenic Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, are:
1. The Directorate for Health and Safety at Work, which is responsible for all OHS aspects (including OHS legislation, strategy, policies, organization/management, information, education, training and research issues), excluding only OHS inspection issues.
2. The Labour Inspectorate (S.EP.E.), which is the responsible enforcement and inspection state authority, regarding the implementation of the national labour legislation (including OHS issues, under the responsibility of the Occupational Safety and Health Inspection authority of S.EP.E.).
Through the established national tripartite OHS social dialogue and by minimizing the number of accidents at work, the work-related diseases and the occupational diseases, the above governmental authorities in close collaboration with the organizations of the national OHS social partners and other involved scientific and professional OHS organizations/institutions, all together are playing a crucial role for the common mission of:
- improving the working environment conditions,
- protecting the safety and health at work, and
- promoting an OHS prevention and protection culture at national, regional/local and sectoral level.