Latvia - Seminar on safe handling of chemicals in the cleaning sector
This seminar discusses the health and safety of workers in the cleaning sector, paying special attention to the hazards of disinfectants. It aims to shed light on the daily challenges faced by workers in this service sector and presents the key messages and objectives of the Healthy Workplaces Manage Dangerous Substances campaign.
Speakers present the views of the European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC) – one of EU-OSHA’s official campaign partners – on the importance of health and safety at work. They also review the current occupational safety and health (OSH) situation in the cleaning sector in Latvia and give examples of the most common health problems and accidents related to exposures to cleaning agents and detergents.
Finally, speakers share possible prevention measures, illustrated by good practice examples of chemicals management found in healthcare and food production companies. They also give advice on how to choose environmentally friendly chemicals to achieve sustainability at work.
- Linda Matisāne, National Focal Point Manager, State Labour Inspectorate
- Sandra Zariņa, Head of Labour Protection Unit, State Labour Inspectorate
- Artis Robalds, Environmental Expert, Baltic Environmental Forum
- Irēna Liepiņa, Vice President, Free Trade Union Confederation of Latvia (LBAS)
- Ziedonis Antapsons, Expert on Labour Protection Issues, LBAS
- Jeļena Reste, Institute for Occupational Safety and Environmental Health
- Laura Komarovska, Institute for Occupational Safety and Environmental Health
- Janita Veinberga, Head of Communications, Pauls Stradiņš Clinical University Hospital
- Kristīne Kursīte, Work safety and environment specialist, JSC "Cēsu alus"