UK - Workshop focusing on the protection of workers in the manufacturing industry
This workshop targets OSH professionals in the manufacturing industry, highlighting both EU-OSHA’s ‘Healthy Workplaces Manage Dangerous Substances’ campaign and the British Occupational Hygiene Society’s ‘Breathe Freely in Manufacturing’ campaign.
Speakers refer to Health and Safety Executive statistics from 2016-17, showing that 99% of work-related deaths in the UK are due to health issues, rather than work-related accidents. They explain the importance of managing dangerous substances which may pose a risk to workers, and which are found in most European workplaces. They focus on the dangers that exist in the manufacturing industry and discuss how to control exposures to prevent occupational lung diseases.
Speakers put forward tangible solutions, including resources, tools and good practice examples from both campaigns. This is one of 3 awareness-raising roadshow events taking place across the UK in 2018.
- Terry Woolmer, Head of Health and Safety Policy, EEF - the manufacturers’ organisation
- Bud Hudspith, National Health and Safety Advisor, Unite the Union
- Gordon Smith, Specialist Inspector Hygiene, HSE
- David Gelnnon, BAE Systems
- Adrian Parris, Sellafield Sites