The Hellenic Ministry of Labour, Social Security & Social Solidarity, the host organization of the Greek Focal Point of the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work (EU-OSHA), has undertaken by law the responsibility of all issues related to the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) at national level.
The two principal competent state OHS authorities, under the Hellenic Ministry of Labour, Social Security & Social Solidarity, are:
1. The Directorate for Health and Safety at Work, which is responsible for all OHS aspects (including OHS legislation, strategy, policies, organization/management, information, education, training and research issues) excluding OHS inspection.
2. The Labour Inspectorate (S.EP.E.), which is the responsible enforcement and inspection state authority, regarding the implementation of the national labour legislation (including OHS issues).
Through the established national tripartite OHS social dialogue, the above governmental authorities in close collaboration with the organizations of the national OHS social partners and other involved scientific organizations and institutions, all together are playing a crucial role for the common mission of:
- promoting an OHS prevention and protection culture at national level,
- improving the working environment conditions and
- protecting the safety and health at work,
by minimizing the number of accidents at work, work-related diseases and occupational diseases.